Friday, July 30, 2010

Still Got?

Maximus is picking up language fast. I would say that he learns a new word daily and is able to apply them. He learn his language from everyone in the family - Chinese from grandma, English from us as well as his cousin.
My concern is having Maximus picking up the wrong words and also using Bad English especially from his cousins. Since his cousins are all Chinese Education and not exposed to good command of English, they tend to translate words from Chinese to English.
A very good example is "Still Got". I tried to figure out where did Maximus learn that word and soon realised that it was from his cousins... and to my horror it was a direct translated word from Chinese "hai-you"
In fact, I tried correcting Maximus from using the wrong word but then I stopped because I found it very cute when he says "still got". There are few context where he applies that word into his speech:
  1. During sticker time - when he pasted the stickers, he said "still got" and wanting more stickers.
  2. Switching on the lights - he pointed to the light and said "light" as to ask me to switch on the light. Then he pointed to another light and said "still got".
  3. Snack time - he enjoys his favourite snack / biscuits and says "still got" when he finishes his 1st bite.
  4. Playing with his toy cars - he pushes the car to knock on each other. Grab another and say "still got".
  5. Applying oilmen - when I apply some oilmen on the mosquitoes bites mark, he points at other marks and say "still got."
Soon I learn to accept that word but I hope that as he grow up he will learn the right word. I do not wish that he speak bad English because it doesn't serve the purpose. I am sure he will learn from it.

1 comment:

  1. that's what we call "1 Malaysia"! kakaka!
    actually, to be honest, i too use that word so frequently that i sometimes forget that it is not correct! hehe

    ReplyDelete