Friday, November 26, 2010

Learning through hands-on experiences is the BEST

After the 6th Nov, my lil boy turned two. His has progress from talking in 2-words phrase to now 3 and 4-words phrase. He is such a chatter-box and chat-chatter from the hour he wakes up till he sleeps...sometimes he even talk in his sleep!

He surprised me one night saying "cat eik bown" and I was trying so hard to figure out what he meant. He wasn't able to show us and he kept repeating the phrase till I realised that he was actually saying "cat eats bone" - pelat!

He has successfully proven that he learns through the hands-on experiences. It was before he turns two, that I brought him out to feed the cat. I told him to give the bone to the cat. Low and behold he remembers the experience - at that time he was only able to say "cat" "bone" and "eat" in all jumble-up order. Now, he has begun to string every word into a phrase.

I am always in support of learning through hands-on experiences and through play. And it is indeed a good method for young children to pick up and learn fast.

Another example - Usually during brushing teeth session, I will have to ask him to spit out the water. Now, he is able to tell me and show me the action of spitting out water. But my lil-mischievous one will spit out water anytime whenever he is drinking.

I would say that young children learn best through actions (hands-on) and that will get them to be independent in their learning too.

No comments:

Post a Comment