Tuesday, January 19, 2010

My 14-months Language development

A 14-months learns a new word everyday to add on to his/her vocabulary list. It's a tremendous achievement and a giant leap in the language development. From my reading, it was said that by 2-years most children can say and understand more than 100 or more words. I don't think I can count the number of vocabulary that Maximus can understand but words spoken are more countable. What-so-ever, I am fascinated with his language development especially in understanding instructions.
There are many ways to nurture language development for toddlers. However, I prefer it to be as natural and not too much into drilling or using those silly flash cards. I strongly believe that a child will pick up language from the normal routine conversation / talk, songs / rhymes and definitely through imitation. I realised that Maximus learns at the peak from imitation and games (songs/rhymes and books).
Some new words that Maximus has learnt to say are:
  1. ball /bor/
  2. balloon /b'-oon/
  3. cat /cat/
  4. tiger /-ger/
  5. biscuit /'kert/
  6. mama
  7. papa
And so the list will go on but these are some of the highly frequency words that he says most of the time. As for his sign language, he can show the sign of sleeping and going to toilet.
Since newborn, I try all the best not to use baby-language but to speak in proper language although his grandma still use some common baby-language such as nen-nen or mum-mum. No doubt there will be some confusion but I am glad that Maximus is able to differentiate the usage by distinguish between speaking to me and his por-por.
I hope that Maximus will soon learn to call us daddy and mummy in proper to address us although he says it as papa and mama.

No comments:

Post a Comment