Friday, August 7, 2009

Shoes before walking? Is it a “pantang” or for better development?

I have been very eager to put on shoes for Lil Maximus when he started standing and moreover I found so many cute little shoes in stores. Both MiL and mother forbid putting on shoes before the baby turns toddler. I thought it is just some "pantang" that they hold on to for generations. Lately, richrach too asked me about this issue and I told her it's just a mere believe from the elders. Despite all, I am obedient to their belief too.

Today, I came across this article in http://www.babycenter.com.my/baby/development/09mth/. While reading my baby 9-months development, I also read about the shoes topic. After reading, I can understand and relate to this elders "pantang". According to this article, most experts do not think that shoes are necessary for baby below 1 year old. Their reason is rather logical and for developmental purpose. It said that going barefoot not only strengthen the baby's arches and leg muscles but also encourage good balances while their shoeless feet are free to feel different texture. Now that I can associate closely to this theory rather than just following blindly the "pantang" since I don't know what's their theory behind it.

So, I guess the little brown shoes given by a friend from UK to lil Maximus have to wait! And I just need to stop looking at those cute little shoes again. Till my Maximus turns a year and beyond, he will sure to have lots of cute, beautiful even branded shoes from everyone at home. Just need to be a little patient then…

Richrach in reading, hope this helps you to know the reason too although your princess Sarah is already wearing her pretty shoes especially her latest Converse Shoes!

2 comments:

  1. hey, thx for sharing... Sarah did wear shoes when she was 8m.o. though as she started walking at such early stage...
    hmm... the article could be true on one hand, but on the other, as for Sarah, i think she did well on balancing herself... but not sure if it is due to wearing shoes "at early stage" had caused her not able to wear certain kind of shoes, as they fall off easily... sad to say. hmm... not sure how to describe tht...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya I read that article too!!! It makes so much senses to me..

    As a matter of fact, I found that most of the pantang of the chinese is not really pantang.. There are purpose and proven reasons for it.

    However, I got no idea where all the older generations come out with make up stories (pantang) to fear people and in the end, the later generation like us never follow due to the 'no-sense' (nonsense) stories.

    Perhaps there are too many 'sin kar' (boasters) who tried to make up stories that they perceived might be the reason when being asked (rather than admitting they dunno the reasons behind). :P

    ReplyDelete