Monday, October 26, 2009

Coping with biting and tantrum

Parenting a soon-to-be toddler can be a time of a heartfelt joy yet tremendous frustration. It's also a wonderful discoveries too. It's an experience for every parent when their baby is moving into toddler's stage but not there yet. So, packed with enormous amounts of patience then a huge dose of serenity when deal with the "in-between" behaviours. What do I mean by "in-between"? Well, they are not exactly baby anymore but not yet a toddler too... so it's like half-past-six especially in gauging the understanding of discipline, rules and also "reward-punishment". So, how do I cope with all these "in-between" behaviours?
My Maximus is soon turning one-year and displayed some of the negative behaviour especially in biting and throwing tantrum!
Biting! When he was much younger in months, my mother in law kept on associate biting as he is teething. So he bit everything and everyone just to "sooth" his teething problem. Teether doesn't sooth him, so my mother in law gave him napkin and the teets to bite. Now, as he grew older in months, the biting continue with biting the couch, biting grandpa's leg, biting mummy's arm, biting daddy's shoulders or biting grandma's hand! Do I still want to associate this with teething? The answer to it is a big NO!!! My mother in law won't be right this time... it has turn into a bad habit! Maximus enjoys biting anyone at any time... and it's not fun, nor cute. It's painful. But how do I cope with it? He doesn't know anything about punishment. Do I need to inpose it to him? Well, the normal traditional ways are: give chilie (too cruel but don't work because Maximus can take chilie), smack him (he can't understand that action), give his own hand to bite (Doh! He is smart and won't bite himself) or bite him back! (tht's not the way)... So what should I do? I am yet to equip myself with strategies to cope and handle these biting behaviour. I read about it in books and internet but what's the most suitable ways is yet to be discovered.
Tantrum throwing...hah! Jin always associate Maximus's tanturm to me. He said he inherited it from me. Well, this is not something that can be inherited... so I better get to the solution to the problem. Of course at the moment whatever we did is chasing out tail and not gaining anything but I am sure soon Maximus will learn to understand when he turns into his toddlers stage at his later months.
Check out this video on how Maximus show his tantrum when he can't get the CD case to open... And of course whatever I said don't make any sense to him.


No comments:

Post a Comment