Friday, October 23, 2009

Tactile Sensorial Activities

During the younger month of an infant, his sensory skills have started to discover the environment around using his 5 senses. These mulitsensory activities will later help this infant to be less anxious about his external world. This is according to Sigmund Freud in his psychoanalytic theory regarding objective anxiety among infant and young children. In short, these sensories help my little Maximus to be an explorer. However, this little explorer dislike certain textures such as the thorny, furry, and soggy texture.
For thorny, I got Maximus the touch durian. One day, Jin wanted to have durian, so we went to the pasar malam (night market) to get some durian. Maximus was very excited but when I gave him the durian shell, slowly but surely he touched it using his finger tip. Then he refused it. I guess he can sense that it will hurt or injured him.
Furry texture is also not his favourite especially the sense of the cotton. I also recalled that during his early months, I made some corn starch mixture and put him into the tub with him. He refused to touch it and gave a disgusting look. Maybe I should try it again at this age and check if he has grown out of the anxiety on this texture.
Giving infant and young children this tactile sensorial activities will surely will enhance his sensory-motor development. Maximus has a strong grasp in his fine motor developement since his early months. At 3 months, he had learned to explore his fingers, open and closed them and looking at them. This is the part and parcle of their fine motor development which eventually most infants will acheive it. But I believe that with a little enhancement and experiences given, these skills will have a better grasp.
I will plan for the next snesorial activities with Maximus and make comparission to it. I hope there will be a difference in his acheivment. Check out for photos too.

No comments:

Post a Comment