Friday, May 8, 2009

Missing the Critical Time

This title of my entry makes me recalled an incident I encountered yesterday. I was driving home, when the Red FM announced about a contest to give out 4 free movie passes for the movie “Angel and Demon”. We have to be the ninth SMS through by sending in the right answer for the question posted. I was the ninth SMS through without realising it... but I missed the phone call! My mobile is always on silent and vibrate mode but I couldn’t feel the vibration at the moment of time when the phone ring although it’s just on my lap. That was the critical time because it is not always we striked the bulls-eye! The ninth SMS through...! How can you decide when to send? But when that critical time is missed, it will never return!

This scenario brings to my attention. Will I miss Maximus's development at every critical time? His first crawl! His first stand! His first word! His first step! Once I asked Rachel Yeo about this... if she has ever missed Sarah’s every 1st things that she achieved, and she said no! Her answer amazed me and made me realised that we can create the opportunity although it’s our in laws that are taking care of them when we are away at work. I reflected on Maximus’s first turning over achievement... We thought that Maximus will start turning over when he reached 4 months... (as stated in the book too)but not until his fifth month he did it.     

Creating an opportunity for Maximus to get comfortable on his tummy at 4 months. Eventually he acheived his first independent turning over on his fifth month.                                  



He only managed to achieve a full turning – from turning over on his tummy and then back again to shift his position, because he was giving the right environment and experiences. Yes, Rachel Yeo was right! We created the opportunity for that experience to take place. My MIL hardly put Maximus on the floor to explore – always on the walker, carrying him or just sitting down on her lap! So, it is my chance to create the experiences and right environment for him.

His 6 months, I am really excited to see how Maximus first lifting his butts and legs into a crawling position. I have started to create an experience for him since then but it’s up to him to do it himself. I am sure one day he will surprise us when he does that. Mummy and daddy will have to wait for that critical moment! And get ready the camera! Hahaha... At the mean time, he will have to learn and explore it till he achieves it! It’s like his first experience in the walker... at first he was only going backward but after few days (less than a week) he can move and manoeuvre every where even chasing after the stool! Haha... Nice stunt!   

5 comments:

  1. creating the opportunity is something that we parents can do. it may not always be their very "1st" time doing certain things but that doesnt mean we're losing out in our babies' development. ;)

    i think it's ok not to be able to actually witness every part of their growth - but at least we are aware of our babies' milestone. Remember to jot them down! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, that's true but it will be ideal to be able to witness every part of their growth right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. hehe...

    i think i am the second commentor after rachel?

    there's always an ideal situation but we have to accept the reality. 8-)

    nevertheless, we all hope to 'catch' our babies in the critical time. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joshua... welcome to my blog!
    Yup! Agree... agree...!

    ReplyDelete