Friday, May 22, 2009

Sleeping Child...


Maximus is not an independent sleeper. Nor he is a good sleeper. We have to whisper, or stay around quietly to ensure that he doesn’t wake up half way in his sleep. He does have all his soothers – his napkin, his little thumb and well fed! But yet, my little one is not a good sleeping child...The only time I enjoyed sleeping throughout the night without waking up was when he was 4 months old. Then... starting from 5 months old he wakes up so frequently just to have a “taste” of his “human pacifier” when he does wake up half way in his sleep...

Oh my sleeping child...

This is not the song “Sleeping Child” by Michael Learns to Rock. But it’s about getting my lil Maximus to sleep. I want to establish independence into Maximus’s sleeping habit although he has already getting used to having the “human pacifier” to sleep. I realised that if I continue doing this he will not be able to learn to sleep independently. He started wanting to be nursed as young as 3 months old when he is going to sleep. I made a mistake by not getting his to sleep independently. I just set the environment – dim light and a napkin for him to hold onto but didn’t instil the independence to go to sleep. He knows his bedtime routines too – changed pyjamas, chat, bedtime story and lullaby. Then he will whine for the “human pacifier” before dozing off. He has already made the connection between sleeping and breastfeeding and I begin to be alarmed by this! I read the article regarding “Sleep and Breastfeeding” (http://www.babycenter.com.my/baby/sleep/breastfeeding/) and Establishing good Sleep habits... and feel that I have already made a big mistake by letting Maximus breastfeed to sleep.


Yesterday, I am determined to change this approach. From the article “Sleep and Breastfeeding” I know that there is still a chance to change this habit. I tried every approach that is listed in all the articles related to Your Baby’s Sleep (http://www.babycenter.com.my/baby/sleep/ ). I feel excited when I want to instil new approach or try new method to handle Maximus. It’s like carrying out an experiment! Hehe... So I was getting ready to put Maximus to sleep. Having all the approaches in my mind, I started:


1. Dim the light – as usual. Maximus will know that it’s time to sleep.


2. Give him his napkin – as usual. He likes to feel and hold onto the napkin (must only be the lampin materials)... and he is ready to sleep.


Of course the next step is to give him the breasts so that he can be fed to sleep ... but I changed to putting him in his cot and pat him. Ah! It’s a different routine this time. He tosses and turns, looking and searching for his “human pacifier” to suckle on. So I gave him the dummy pacifier. He suckled on it... but it’s a different feel and taste... he began to whine and scream! I told Jin that I must make him sleep independently... but I just couldn’t bear to see him screaming and whining so loudly! And of course MIL will be knocking at the door...


Yes, I went back to the normal routine. Trying to console and comfort myself I told Maximus that we can try again tomorrow night... Will tomorrow night comes? Will I be able to be as determined to change it? What if ... I encounter the pitfall? Hmmm... Maximus was a good sleeper only till he was 2 months old. Then he has becoming a dependable sleeper... depending on the bouncing net, having to breastfeed, rocking / cuddling him and of course getting a car ride! And taking nap time is a short half an hour at noon time but will sleep for an hour in the evening when he gets his soothing – “Human Pacifier”!


Has he learnt how to soothe himself to sleep? Of course he has his little thumb, his napkin (he stuffs it into his mouth and suckles it) and the pat from mummy when he suddenly jerks up in the middle of his sleep. But he has not develop the “self-comforting” technique as stated in the article – “Establishing Good Sleep Habit: 6-9 months” (http://www.babycenter.com.my/baby/sleep/habitsbyage6to9months/). I wake up every 3 hours or less just to sooth him and this has becoming his habit!


I want to establish good sleep habit into Maximus. I read every article I can get from the babycenter.com site. What else more... it’s just practise, practise and practise! I must determine and continue to establish it well... Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. hey dan... change happens over time. It doesnt happen over night.
    dont get discourage by this one experience. it may happen longer for some ppl and shorter period for some others.
    will keep u in prayer - to lovingly, and patiently help ur precious one have a goodnight sleep without the "human pacifier". God bless! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Richrach, thanks for the encouragement... I will continue to be determined to change his habit and also be patient to help him to change.

    ReplyDelete